Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fixing Up That Older Home

So you live in an older home. I do too, mine was built in 1959 and it's a kind of Ranch Style on the outside. A few years back we wanted to do a face-lift on it, you know paint, replace the old roof, update the siding, that kind of stuff. Even the inside needed a lot of work so we bought 2 tons of magazines to get some ideas for our fix up, inside and out. I'm glad we took our time. My wife and I have always tried to do things that will last, look good and are economical. Right now in the economic environment we're in, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend large amounts of money fixing up the house as you may not get a good return on the money. What you can do however, is make the house way more sell-able, so it does get a higher sales price and does sell quicker when placed on the market.


On the outside, we found the difference between a 30 year roof and a 40 year roof was minimal, about 300 bucks or so, maybe a little less. The price difference is in the material, not the labor. To me it was worth it, I don't even have to start worrying about the roof until I'm 90 years old, and I may just not really care by then! Plus the 40 year roof has thicker shingles so there is a more dramatic effect on the shading so it just looks so much better. Also, remember that the roof color should go with what ever color your going to paint your house. If you get a green roof, you may not want to paint the house blue, you may want to use greens or browns, see what I mean?


We had decided we were going to paint the house body yellow and the trim white, with the shutters and doors a dark green so we went with a grayer colored roofing with tan overtones, a good choice. Then the siding had to be done as well. We had old redwood ship lap and some of it was pretty badly damaged so I had called around to find milling prices to see what it would cost to have some pieces made that would match. Wow, there was like a $250.00 set up charge to even set up the saw to cut the lumber, then there would be labor and the wood it's self. We decided to look into other alternatives for the same price. I found a new product at Lowes, well it was new to home owners, it had been used for years on commercial buildings and schools and places like that. The material looked like brick, and the selection was huge. We went with what looked like a used brick, remember our house is a Ranch Style so with our color choices we felt that the used brick would look the best. This product was made a lot like wonder-board, kinda a concrete with fiber mixed in, it was tough and durable and is supposed to last like 50 years keeping it's color for that time as well. The material came in 18"x36" planks, which was a good thing because they weren't light! It was easy to install, I did it myself and it came with all the installation instructions. We hired a roof crew cause I won't do roofs, and I hired a painter I used to work for and he gave me a good price, so I saved some money on the paint job, but saved nothing on the roof and that's OK, it was a wash. I got the better roof and the discount on the paint. The siding cost about the same as the lumber would have cost so that seemed like a good deal as well because it would completely change the look of the house.





We were so happy that we were careful and took our time to pick the colors and products we used, it turned out better than we had hoped. I then did a little more work in front of the garage and put in a garden, these things are fairly cheap to do if your willing to put in the sweat equity and do most of it yourself and it does raise the value and it does help to sell your home quicker when the time comes.


At this point the background shrubs have grown in as well, and the flower border is gone, but it still looks great!

Some of the biggest savings we've found were on the inside. Paint, very cheap and easy and really adds if you choose the right colors. One of the things we did was put in lots of moldings, upgraded nice moldings around windows doors and baseboards. I have been a fan of older homes all my life, especially the Craftsman styles and Victorians. What I learned from them was with the plaster walls, they would use moldings around a room to hang pictures from, they called them Picture Molding. I always liked it and wanted to put it in my home but it never seemed quiet right to do it. Our home like most older homes and has 8 foot ceilings. The newer homes have 9 or ten, so what could I do that would make it feel like they were higher? Well, that Picture Molding came back to my mind and here's what I did. I took molding and placed it 5 inches down from the ceiling all around the rooms, I've used a couple different moldings, but they were all door casings, about 3 1/2 inched wide. I would paint all my moldings white so these were too and then I painted the ceiling white as well, all the way down to the moldings. This gives the room a "taller" feel and also makes the entire room feel larger. It looks really nice and goes with the style of our home. Also, I do try to change colors in each room. Nothing to bold, but bold enough to create warm rooms that feel cozy and you actually like to be in them. Here's a few shots of a few of the completed rooms, we're almost finished doing the whole house now, but we do 1 room at a time so we're not living in a construction site forever, oh and before i forget, I scrape all that nasty popcorn off the ceilings and respray the texture in the rooms as I go, this creates a room that looks brand new with no patches from nails or anything, like its a new house. It's easy, and it's cheap to do and it sure makes it looks so much better.








You really can do this yourself for the most part, it takes time and effort, but that saves you a ton of money, which for the most part you may not recover, but by doing it yourself you will. Yes, we have hardwood floors and I have done the refinishing on them myself, that also saved more money than we have spent on fixing up these three rooms, honestly! We have about 300 bucks into each room we've fixed up in materials and the tool rental for the sander for the floors. These three rooms would have cost between $2000 and $3000 to just do the floors! With those kinds of savings you can buy a lot of the tools you may not have and still save a bunch, that's what I did.Now when I do work, I have the tools I need to do what looks like a professional job, in fact it looks better than a lot of work I've seen professionals do in my 30 years of construction. Don't let that deter YOU from doing the work yourself, everything is on YouTube now days, you can learn in 5 minutes what took me a year to learn in the field and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it and you saved the money and most of all you raised the value of your home without the high cost of a contractor. So, whether your getting ready to sell, flipping  an investment home, or just wanting to fix it up it's well worth the time and effort to do it yourself, and believe in the magic of color and trim. The trim alone makes so much of a difference you can hardly believe it. I hope you found this interesting and informative, and maybe you'll get the courage to do it your self! Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this, and I hope if your thinking of selling you think of me to be your Realtor!





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the changes are done with the house, especially the roof and brick siding. Changing the exterior color of your home is a great way to update its style. The color of the roof and the siding make a perfect match. It looks simple but still gorgeous. The neutral colors balance the environment but are not too strong as to be overpowering.

    Brendan Gertner

    ReplyDelete